It is a club requirement to carry a VHF radio and to call in with the Jersey
Coastguard VTS (channel 14) with your intended route, crew numbers and
duration. Likewise a return call should be made upon exit from the water.
Give your rowing boat number. number of persons on the vessel. estimated time
on the water. Area in which the rowing will take place.
- Give your rowing boat number.
- Number of persons on the vessel.
- Estimated time on the water.
- Area in which the rowing will take place.
• You: “St. Helier VTS, rowing boat 22, over”
• VTS: “This is St. Helier VTS, go ahead, over”
• You: “Rowing boat 22, with 5 persons on board, heading into St. Aubin’s bay for
approximately one hour, over”
• VTS: “All received, boat 22 with 5 persons, heading into St. Aubin’s bay for one
When finished also call back to VTS Channel 14 to say that you’ve returned
safely back to the slip and confirm your number.
Before you go out on the water you must fill in the training LOG BOOK stating boat,
crew, time out and expected time back (diary on desk next to main entrance).
Please tick your entry on your return to show that you are back.